Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Small Business Saturday

Back in June of 1988, I was 14, just finished 8th grade, and went out looking for a job.  So one day I decided to walk into a local business (Video rental and one hour photo store) and apply.  What do you know, I got hired.  I learned much about good customer service, connecting with your customers, and being active in the community we worked in.  I also learned more about what it takes to run a small, successful, independent business. There's no way we would've been as successful as we were if it wasn't for our local, neighborhood customers.

23 years later, how times have changed.  Big box stores, retail chains and a tough economy have negatively impacted the livelihood of these small businesses that took a chance on me.  Trust me, I shop at the big stores as well, but I like to think I find a balance. 

There is a movement called Small Business Saturday, in which small business owners are asking that you shop their stores on Saturday November 26th.  Over 2 million people have pledged to make at least one purchase at a local small business on Saturday.  There is no reason to not do this if you need to purchase items on Saturday.  Yes, the price might be a bit higher. Yet, the positives out weigh that with easier parking, smaller crowds and a great way to stimulate the local economy.  

If you are not aware of the 3/50 program it is worth reading about.  Essentially, they are asking you to think about what it would the impact would be if you had 3 less independent businesses in your community.  They note that if you spent $50 a month at a local business, that would generate more than $42.6 billion in revenue.  And that for every $100 spent in the community, $68 of that will be returned to that local community through taxes and other means. 

Fore more information on these movements please check the following websites:
http://smallbusinesssaturday.com/
http://www.the350project.net/home.html

So I hope that all of you will take some time and shop at a local business this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment